Wednesday, April 18, 2012
GLOOM, DISPAIR, AND AGONY ON ME!
wELP, y'LL LOOKS LIKE THEM City slikers down in Anchorage done messed up that thar Ee-Lectshun...
Ok, so no one in the LBGT community is very happy about Prop. 5. The dust isn't quite settled, and things might just go our way if we wait to see how it all pans out...patience is hard after all.
Still, I think a pause to examine our Gratitude List might be in order?
Something to think about is how far we have come in the last century.
1. LBGT rights are openly discussed
2. Homosexuals are not regularly locked up in mental hospitals just for being Gay.
3. Many Churches are opening their doors, and people of the wider community are changing their attitudes towards us.
4. Gay Characters have not only come on to TV, even hosted their own shows, but are no longer routinely the evil bad guys, the twisted wicked foul things they were once, or the butt (excuse me) of jokes just because of their Gayness.
5. I hold hands with my partner in public and I haven't been assaulted or lynched.
6. I haven't heard a credible account of Shock Therapy to cure Gayness in years.
7. The internet has helped our community and still does and is there for us to share our stories, find friends, and keep informed.
9. In Alaska there is no death penalty for having sex with someone you love
10. LBGT people can adopt children legally
11. People all over this town still treat me with honor and respect, even love, and I transitioned openly here.
12. I've had a lot of negative things happen to me, physical abuse, verbal and emotional abuse, self-loathing and harming, surgeries, hospitalizations, been the target of vandalism... And yet today I can live happy, fairly healthy, joyous and free in my heart. I am glad to be me, and no one can take that away!
Have a blessed day everyone!